Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

I replaced the carb and carb adapter gasket but chainsaw still runs like it has an air leak or fuel problem.

I've run out of parts to replace and even my small motor whisperer gave up.

I feel better that he couldn't fix it either, but disappointed because these are pretty simple.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Well here we are again replacing motor run capacitors in the air conditioner.
Woke up at 6 AM with no AC running.
Last time was two years ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=406&start=81

Same deal: Condenser fan run capacitor (5 uF) open. Compressor thermaled out.
The compressor cap was barely hanging on at around 30 uF.
Another cheaply made (but expensive to buy) Grainger capacitor bites the dust.

Had a new Genteq (formerly GE) polypropylene 45/5 installed in a few minutes.
After waiting about an hour for the compressor to reset it ran.

Apparently the HVAC industry is plagued by really, really bad Chinese and Mexican caps.
An HVAC repair person published in one of the trades that 35% of his new caps were failing after 18 months.

Apparently Genteq has moved production back to the US and is quoting 60,000 hour life for their product.
I've got a new Grainger Dayton POS cap and will be getting a Genteq spare.
When I get the Genteq in a few days I'll measure the DF of both and post the values.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Polypropylene should be pretty robust. We'll check back in 2 years. 8-)

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Ok my latest trial with entropy is to replace my aging rear chain derailleur. While wrenching on a bicycle doesn't seem like heavy lifting I learned several lessons, like don't expect all chains to have a master link. :roll: These days they use a special chain tool to push a pin out for repairs. Since I couldn't open the chain to snake it through the derailleur sprockets I had to disassemble the derailleur sprockets then reassemble them with the chain in place, in the right place (took two tries).

The cable sheath jacket was too long and hard to cut, plus the WWW advice was wrong they said 10 cm and that is too short. I have a new cable laying around I will replace that this weekend.

Harder than I expected but more satisfying than driving round trip 50 miles to the nearest bike shop.

JR
[edit] replaced the shift cable and the derailleur is much better behaved now. The cable jacket is important for controlling shifter tension, [/edit]
mediatechnology

So the chain wasn't worn enough to replace?
Mine stretch and get pretty worn.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:So the chain wasn't worn enough to replace?
Bike chain or chain saw chain?

I don't recall the exact details but for bike chain you measure X CM for Y number of links of chain to determine if it needs replacing. Mine didn't.

Shifting way better than before still not perfect but good enough... Today was first time I felt cool in only a T-shirt warm for OCT.

JR
JR.

Re: Entropy... buy low buy often?

Post by JR. »

OK this installation is about hand tools, actually a kitchen tool. I have never been a fan of electric can openers (how do you throw them in the dishwasher to clean) so I use hand crank can openers.

Last time my cheap can opener broke I decided to shift slightly more up scale hoping that would deliver better longevity.

The span between cheapest and most expensive at walmart was still single digit dollars, so I bought a nice looking one with a lifetime warranty. "And" I saved the counter card because I still expected it to fail. I didn't realize how prescient I was when only several months later, it stopped working... the oblong shaped bushing in the turn crank handle cammed out and lost grip (no doubt a bad batch of too soft durometer plastic).

I refused to mail the broken opener back which would surely exceed the value of the broken opener, so i found an email contact and told them that. They graciously offered to send me a replacement if i would just email them a photo. The replacement arrived today, but before that I decided to purchase a cheap can opener to see what it's life would be like. $1.88 and cuts like butter, so i'll use it for a while.

The postage on the replacement was $4.16 so they surely didn't make a profit off me. I am probably the exception who claimed the life time warranty, and saved the counter card JIC. I expect their strategy provides healthy sales at a higher price point just from saying they have a lifetime warranty.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:So the chain wasn't worn enough to replace?
UPDATE... I decided to measure my chain for stretch...I thought I did but apparently not.

they say 1/8" over 12" is replace time... Mine is at or past replace time, looks like 1/2 a link :oops: ...

I just ordered a new chain and chain tool, and pins.

Still learning this bike boy stuff..

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Found out I had even more bike boy stuff to learn... every WWW chain "how too" video I found said new chains come long and must be shortened to fit. My new chain was exactly one foot too short for my bike. :o Apparently my hipster "townie" brand bike has the seat post angled back and the rear axle shifted a few inches back to accommodate the lower seat height.

The result from this is a longer than standard chain. Since I had to put the old chain back on until I received a second new chain, I decided to shorten the old one. Removing 2 links made it one inch shorter, so less than my estimated being 1-1/2" inches longer from wear.

It actually feels tighter and shifts a little better... In a few more days I'll receive a second new chain and cobble together a correct length frankenchain.

JR
mediatechnology

The rollers on my chains would also wear and go out of round.
I picked up a lot of dirt on the trail so it was always gritty.