Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: Entropy

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm Send us pics of the new family member.
Will do. I only have videos of the whole litter.
Here is a link to the breeder and his mother. The father is Jase. https://coldwater-rat-terriers.com/female-rat-terriers/
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Yesterday my wife and I were walking the dog and we noticed a crew in the neighbors backyard with a small backhoe.
The neighbor was having cleanouts installed on her septic tanks.

I asked my wife to take the dog lead so I could walk a little further around the corner to see if he had a blade on the other end of the tractor.
He did.

I couldn't help ask if he would be interested in grading my driveway when he was done and he said "how about right now?"
He had just finished putting some foam sealer on the job and needed it to cure before he could back-fill so it was dead time for him.

60 seconds later he was in my driveway smoothing out the river rock and scraping down the crown full of weeds and grass.
In a few minutes he was done and when I asked him what I owed him: He asked for $40.
Since I was expecting to be asked for at least $100 and didn't have change for a $50 I gave him that.
What luck.
If I had called someone out to do the job it would have easily been 100s.

I sent him to the other neighbor who needed some extensive grading and a load or two of rock: He got a $900 quote.

Paul - those dogs are beautiful.
I need to post a pic of Patrick.
He's part Chihuahua and we're trying to figure out if there's some Jack Russell or bulldog in him.
Maybe you can have a look and see what you think.
All we could get from the Vet was "his Mom was a Chihuahua and his Dad was a traveling salesman."
JR.

Post by JR. »

Yes, if they already have the machinery on site, and better yet time to kill, it was a win-win...

Closest to that, I once hijacked a crew surveying property just up the road from my house, to shoot a quick elevation between my mid-side rain ditch and the bottom of my front drain culvert, to see how much drop I had available to move water..

I had something like 9-10" drop from bottom of mid-side ditch to bottom of the front pipe. More than enough difference to move plenty of water. 8-)

I forget what they charged me but not much, still probably good pay for a couple minutes work. :D

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 pm Paul - those dogs are beautiful.
I need to post a pic of Patrick.
He's part Chihuahua and we're trying to figure out if there's some Jack Russell or bulldog in him.
Maybe you can have a look and see what you think.
All we could get from the Vet was "his Mom was a Chihuahua and his Dad was a traveling salesman."
Thanks. I spent a lot of time looking around. Around here there is reverse snobbery. A lot of people ask me where the dog came from. When you say a breeder they turn their nose up and proudly display their rescue. I love all dogs and have nothing against mixed breeds. I just love Terriers.

I’d say if Patrick doesn’t have a pushed in nose then bull dog is unlikely. The main characteristics of terriers are prey drive and digging. That said Kitty Wells doesn’t display those traits. I’d be surprised if Hank doesn’t have prey drive and dig. Rat Terriers are still used as working dogs. No one uses Wirehair Fox Terriers as working terriers. They are show dogs.
mediatechnology

Patrick

He tilts his head a lot when he has questions or I'm not making sense to him.
He's a very happy dog and just walked up one day in the old neighborhood.
None of the neighbors knew who he belonged to and after a few visits I decided to take him in: On Saint Patrick's Day.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I see what you mean about the Bulldog. He does kind of have a French Bulldog look about him. The head tilting thing is definitely terrier. He looks like a good boy. I like traveling salesman. His father might have been the result of a traveling salesman too. Who knows?

We missed the flight. Don't ask. Next Thursday +$300.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Sorry no dog pix, but yesterday I bought a nice $15 walmart axe, and cut up a bunch of pecan tree roots I couldn't cut with my saw.
DSCF0024.JPG
They have been stacked up and drying overnight and I may light them up today or tomorrow.

Still some old trunk bits remaining to clean up but most of the big roots are cut and out. I think the tree falling loosened up some of the side roots making them easier to pull.

Easier than I expected, nothing like a brand new, sharp, 3.5# long handle axe. :lol: Still worked up a sweat but I expected it to be harder.

Almost time to fill in the holes and start mowing over it.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:54 am
mediatechnology wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:20 pm Maybe throw in a baked potato?
about a week and a half ago I shot my third squirrel (they eat my pecans). I was burning limbs over on my regular burn pile them so I put the squirrel on the fire... a lot cleaner disposal than the first two squirrels I killed that really stunk up my garbage after only a few days.
Great progress.
It will slow down from here...I am already grabbing dead tree limbs from my neighbor's pile to burn, but that's a win-win for both of us.
I'm getting inspired to do some cooking in the Dutch Oven once fall arrives.
My Dad taught me how to do pineapple upside down cake and its been awhile since I made one.
Just do it.

I am thinking of buying a paving stone to use as a pizza stone to hold heat in my oven... My pizza already rocks, but a heavy pizza stone could make it betta. :lol:

JR
On monday I killed squirrel #4... this one was actually up in my pecan tree eating nuts. He was in such a feeding frenzy that he let me miss him 3x and still didn't leave. :roll:

I only carried 2 pellets with me when I left the house, so had to go back inside for more ammo. When I came back I carried a chair out to under the tree and waited... Sure enough shot #3 missed, but #4 got him center mass and he dropped like a bag of rocks (pecans). It seemed to take a long time for him to fall, he was up there. The good news is garbage pickup was tuesday, so he wasn't around long enough to stink up my garbage. 8-)

JR

PS: Today is the once a month roadside pickup and I finally threw away the broken peltier dehumidifier.. My pack rat instinct was to save the broken high tech dehumidifier for parts but saw no point... when it worked it didn't work that well...

PPS: I'm looking at upgrading to a real outdoor compressor heat pump (actually a ductless split system). Right now I am cooling my entire house with 12,000 BTU thru wall unit. A 24k split would make less noise inside, and be 2x as effective. The premium models even have a low moisture mode where they manage the temp of the cooling coil to always be below the dew point to extract maximum humidity... pretty clever.
mediatechnology

This week is my monthly brush pickup too.

I had a cedar (juniper) near the house that was hollow and arching over two cars and the aerial power drop.

In addition to the cedar there's brush from an Oak, an old woodpile and about 5 hackberry's.
I try to get my mony's worth out of every months' pickup.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Splashed squirrel #5... That makes two this week killed in the act of stealing my pecans.

The question is will I run out of squirrels before I run out of pecans? Pecans still won't be ripe for a couple more weeks, but that doesn't seem to bother the squirrels. :roll:

Next trash pick up is 5 days away, so dead squirrel is sitting on my burn pile. I may burn branches today instead of tomorrow.

JR

PS: My UPS driver was teasing me for needing 4 shots on monday... todays squirrel was one shot-one kill. 8-)