Residential Lighting with LEDs: Retrofitting the Pink Ranch

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Residential Lighting with LEDs: Retrofitting the Pink Ra

Post by mediatechnology »

Amazon now sells the GE "60W," (13W actual) 64130 LED13DA19/830/TP.
The 64130 is an 800 lumen 3000K dimmable in the same envelope as the 9W, 430 lumen 62180.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083X ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought a couple to replace the hall bathroom vanity lights which were 20W fluorescents that provide about 930 lumens each at 2700K.
The flourescent lights have aged a little since 2011 and seem more yellow.
The GE datasheet shows the flourescent lamps to have a relatively poor power factor of 0.6.

The GE's LEDs look spectacular in the fixture.
The 3000K light at 1600 lumens looks much brighter than the 1860 lumen, 2700K fluorescent helicals.
I wasn't able to test dimming them.

I'm going to order 4 more of the 64130 LED13DA19/830/TP for the master bathroom vanity.
That will elimiante all flourescent lamps in general use.
The only flourescents that remain are in hall and bedrom closets and actic which are only used minutes each month.

I may also replace the Luxo-style lamps on the workbench with the 13W GEs.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I still have trouble with the concept of $50 light bulbs, but they should get cheaper.

I do prefer the white light from LEDs, Just not $200 worth for my bathroom. With that much light I could see how old I am in my mirror. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

The reduction in summer heat load adds significant value - at least in Texas.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I understand that, I already have CFLs in my bathroom fixture and they are only on maybe an hour total a day depending on how interesting my newspaper is.

http://www.prolighting.com/ledalamps.html

These guys have 3 A-shape 13W LED lamps from $14 to $17.50 in 2700k or 5000k color.

Kobe is probably a Chinese brand trying to sound Japanese.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have any experience with that brand, but have bought from Pro Lighting before and was not disappointed. I think I bought my last set of UVc lamps from them, the other cheap ones i bought burned out after only months.

JR

PS: I wonder it the fluorescents really are 2700k after they get tired. The Kobe calls their 2700 "warm" and 5000 "cool", I'm guessing "5000" is whiter white.
brianroth

Post by brianroth »

Greetings, gentlemen.

I have run various "what if" numbers.

WHO guarantees that the LED bulbs will last 25K hours? That will totally skew the numbers. I know for FACT that CFL lamps do not come close to lasting as long as the specs say.

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
JR.

Post by JR. »

I had some early CFLs that barely lasted a year. I've found the later CFLs more stable, but sensitive to over-heating. Using them inside closed domes caused them to fail relatively quickly with all too familiar burnt electronics smell.

I suspect some variability in their life is application related.

The value of any long guarantee is always suspect, kind of like the lifetime guarantee some now defunct companies offered.

When I was experimenting with UVc lamps I found some extremely cheap lamps that also delivered poor life. I would hope that LED lamps would generally deliver very robust life, but all the heat-sinks hanging off them suggest temperature matters to them too.

JR
mediatechnology

http://www.prolighting.com/ledalamps.html

These guys have 3 A-shape 13W LED lamps from $14 to $17.50 in 2700k or 5000k color.
Kobe is probably a Chinese brand trying to sound Japanese..
I don't have any experience with that brand, but have bought from Pro Lighting before and was not disappointed. I think I bought my last set of UVc lamps from them, the other cheap ones i bought burned out after only months.
I have a bunch of the earlier snow cone LEDs and they just don't come close to the GE for pattern.
I wonder it the fluorescents really are 2700k after they get tired. The Kobe calls their 2700 "warm" and 5000 "cool", I'm guessing "5000" is whiter white.
I don't think CFLs do stay 2700K.
They tend to shift more yellow over time.
I bought a couple of 5000K CFLs and they were very interesting but not very natural indoors.

For a given rated light output the 2700K LEDs just don't seem as bright as the 3000K.
My wife noticed the change immediately and thought the light was "whiter and brighter" than the CFLs yet it was 1600 lumens vs 1860 lumens (rated).

The GE LED13DA19/830 is also available in different packaging and is called the 65386.
Amazon's stock varies a lot, the 65386 a couple of weeks ago was about $5 more than the 64130.
Now the 65386 is about $5 cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-65386 ... ords=65386

I'm not too concerned about the cost or lifetime - I just want something that looks good and is reliable.
So far the LEDs from Osram/Sylvania, Philips, Feit and GE have been very reliable.

Thanks Brian for posting and joining us here.
WHO guarantees that the LED bulbs will last 25K hours?
GE does for ten years from date of purchase.
mediatechnology

Roger -

On the track lights you might look at the Osram PAR20, PAR30 or MR16 posted earlier in the thread.

The reduction in heat load is significant over incandescents.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Wayne: You seem to be the light expert... Is there any circuitry inside 120v LED lamps or is it simple series-parallel LED chips?

If it is simple it might be interesting to make strobe lights with LED lamps.

JR

[edit] I have some white LEDs on order so I can try to roll my own low power strobe with them... Back in the '70s I tried to make a strobe with fluorescent tubes to make a black light strobe and abandoned that project. Now I have a better application than amusing stoners, while there is nothing wrong with amusing stoners. :lol:

Sorry about the veer I'll start a new thread for my follow up.
[/edit]
mediatechnology

Utilitech LA19DM/800/LEDG2 Lowes SKU 424722

http://www.lowes.com/pd_424722-75774-LA ... Id=4780595

The Utilitech LA19DM/800/LEDG2 is a very good all-around lamp for general illumination with 270 degree (almost omni-directional) characteristics.
Its 9.8W (60W equivalent) though the Lowes copy incorrectly lists it at "13W."
The 800 lumen 3000K output puts this one in the 82 lumen/watt category.
These lamps are dimmable and around $12 each.
I have a bunch of these now and have used them to replace all of the CFL helicals that were in closets.
They are also in the Luxo-style lamps I use on the electronics workbench.

Other than the attic (which I use for about 5 minutes every two weeks) there are no CFLs in use at all in the Pink Ranch.
The most critical location, bathroom vanities, are now LED with 2X GE 65386 (1600 lumens total) in the hall bathroom and 4X GE 62180 (1720 lumens) in the master bathroom.

WHO guarantees that the LED bulbs will last 25K hours?
GE guarantees them for 10 years.

I've finally had one LED failure - a GE 62180 - that was in a totally sealed glass fixture not much larger than the lamp itself.
The GE 62180 ran for months in there and failed at about the same time we had a close call with dry lightning.

That set of storms - there were two five days apart - destroyed Ethernet ports, routers, an IP TV tuner etc.
Oh and I have to mention it blew apart a cedar (juniper) tree which is still standing. Shards of cedar bark were thrown about 40 feet.

But, the 62180 was under warranty and I returned it to GE.
In return I got a replacement and $80 worth of coupons.
Not a bad deal for a lamp I bought on mark-down at Lowes for $15.
I have about 20 GE62180s in service.