Jim Williams and Bob Pease, RIP

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Jim Williams and Bob Pease, RIP

Post by JR. »

Yup, I felt the disturbance in the force.... RIP^2

JR :(
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Just discoverd that I had two copies of Jim's book. Found this stuck in the back of one of them.

Those letters I got from Pease made me think: "Do I have anything from Jim?" No, but crazynightowl did. I think this may have been his copy.

FWIW I just found the article where Jim writes about his home-based lab.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've got a note from Jim in a file somewhere, that he sent in response to my complaint about one of his "ideas" published where he was using CMOS gates as linear amplifier stages. This technique mostly works as long as all you want is a modest loop gain inverter, but I pointed out the nasty side effect of using CMOS gates linear, that is with both up and down devices turned on even half way, the quiescent current can get surprisingly high. Not an issue at say 5V, but at 12-15V it could be, and in production current draw could be very process dependent.

IIRC he was gracious and admitted I was correct, but defended his idea for modest rail voltages.

As an after thought ( a few decades late), you could drop the quiescent current a bunch at higher rail voltage by biasing the linear CMOS stage output for equilibrium at say 2/3 the rail voltage. You would forfeit some AC signal swing, but save lots of DC current. (yawn). I still would never CMOS this way. I did make a variable clock circuit from a simple pot and CMOS gate for a kit back in the '70s. I also made a VCO out of a 4007 (the uncommitted gates) for a kit add on, but linear CMOS was too variable and process dependent for me to use in later designs
=====

It's not surprising these two guys were friends. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they got to talking circuits. While I might need a translator. :D

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

The last photo of Pease cracks me up: http://www.edn.com/blog/Anablog/41523-A ... 8_2012.php?

Wasn't expecting that... :D
emrr

Post by emrr »

making poster now, must source Johnny Cash poster to put with....
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders