Intro from new member "tubegeek"

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
tubegeek

Intro from new member "tubegeek"

Post by tubegeek »

I'm happy to say I was able to join the forum today after some lurking and one failed attempt to join. Thanks Wayne for sorting me out!

My name is Jeremy Epstein and the name you'll see on this board and some others I frequent is "tubegeek." I'm from Brooklyn NY and I am a teacher and administrator at a technical program for audio engineering called IAR, the Institute of Audio Research.

We don't do much in the way of research as an official activity though the staff includes many experienced studio dawgs and a few lab-type engineers.

My background is as a heavy hobbyist in hi-fi vacuum tube audio. Probably my most complex from-scratch design was an all-tube phono preamp with switchable EQ curves for a friend who uses it for his disc transfer work, which he does at a high enough level to get a Grammy nomination.

I do a live mix every week at a church with a choir and full band, simultaneously sending it for webcast and recording live for CD distribution for those that want it, so I spend time each week thinking and working with live sound and sound recording.

Since becoming affiliated with IAR I've gotten more interested in things like mic preamps and studio outboard effects gear, and I think I found my way here researching mic preamps. I have a 16-channel line-only mixer that is ripe for some mic preamps when I get some time to build them and a good design settled.

Hello from Brooklyn!

Best,

-j
JR.

Re: Intro from new member "tubegeek"

Post by JR. »

I was only vaguely associated with one tube mic preamp (Peavey/AMR VMP-1) and that was not in the direct design effort more features and general interface comments.

Modern IC preamps will get you better faster cheaper...

Welcome and have fun...

I am a fan of Wayne's work to DC couple mic preamps, with none of those pesky input capacitors and transformers. Now if we can get Ricardo to make some mics without them.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
emrr

Re: Intro from new member "tubegeek"

Post by emrr »

Greetings!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders