Coyote and General-Purpose Animal Block

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

We cover all the bases here in the Peabody Lounge....

This recipe (see pdf link below) was provided to me by Ronnie Littles of Desoto, Texas Animal Control. He's had an ongoing issue with Coyotes for many, many years. When I had my first cat snatched in Desoto I researched the web and found that many people use Wolf urine. (Yuck.) I bought some. The stuff is about 10-100 times per gallon more expense than gasoline. How do people collect Wolf urine? Very carefully...

For our Coyotes, who have never seen or smelled a Wolf, it is ineffective. In the Dallas area of Brettonwoods, the Coyote's only predator is man. I don't know for sure but I think this recipe was inspired by Coyotes being hunted by freshly laundered, pizza-eating, beer drinking hunters. The only missing ingredient is gun powder. I think I recall him saying something about an A&M seminar where they discussed this.

Pack and loose dogs can be caught. It's best to "manage" Coyotes.

As Ronnie tells it, the purpose is to provide scent overload for the Coyote with a combination of smells they don't normally encounter in nature. Coyotes are very, very smart but equally lazy. They smell it and "freak out." Rather than deal with something unknown - like big foot - they move on.

His original recipe used dryer sheets and they are problematic so I used Downy liquid. Randomness in application is key. If you apply every weekend on Sunday, the Coyote will learn this and come on Wednesdays. The idea is to keep them off-guard.

I'm not a beer drinker but for good measure always take one sip before mixing. If you leave this in a garden sprayer make absolutely sure pressure cannot build up. It will ferment, and if contained, blow up.

I only use the Coyote block when I have to since it does repel the Foxes. I saw less of them after using it this summer. Fortunately some grease from curried pork chops brought them back. The whole family of six that night came back. Foxes must like Curry. The block does not work on Beavers or other aquatic animals.

Coyote Animal Block: http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf ... oyotes.pdf
JR.

Re: Coyote and General-Purpose Animal Block

Post by JR. »

That recipe sounds like it would taste OK except for the dyer sheet...

How long do you cook the coyote?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

That recipe sounds like it would taste OK except for the dyer sheet...
That's why I switched to fabric softener: You get the added sweetness without all the extra fiber.
How long do you cook the coyote?
165 degree internal temperature.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am currently in a property dispute with a squirrel. He thinks it should be OK to live in my attic. I do not agree. I partially closed off his hole with A piece of 1"x2" pine and he chewed his full opening again. I set a rat trap up in the attic last weekend, but I didn't have good bait handy so I put some nuts in the bait cup.

I stuffed some wadded up plastic into his entrance hole as a temporary patch until I was sure he had left the building (dead or alive).

He pushed the plastic out a couple times, and I pushed it back in. So far It has been about three days with the plastic still in place.

I kind of expected to find a dead squirrel in the rat trap when I climbed up to the attic yesterday but alas the trap was not sprung. But the nuts were all neatly removed without tripping the sensitive trigger.

This week I was more prepared. I bough some cheap peanut butter so now the trap is set, with a sticky bait all over the trigger that will not easily be removed. To give him a proper last supper I added some chopped pecans to the peanut butter.

I also bought some moth balls that are supposed to repel rodents. I know they would repel me. I spread some of them around my attic too. This may make the peanut butter harder to smell.. that's life in the attic.

Next weekend I will check the trap again, if there is no more evidence that the squirrel is still in the attic, I will make the seal of his entrance hole more permanent. I don't want to seal it if there is a chance he is still inside.

JR
mediatechnology

Moth balls work pretty well.
When I lived in Desoto I would throw moth balls over the fence into the wooded creek area so the snakes wouldn't come into the yard.
One day I did that and noticed an entire family of Possums scramble when they smelled it.
Racoons are real bad in attics.
They may work on squirrels.

We have/had an abandoned house on our street that was infested with Racoons.
The gypsum on the ceiling was falling in from the weight of Racoon poop.
Its going to be torn down soon.

Here's the listing for the house on that lot which hasn't even been built yet:
http://ntreislistings.marketlinx.com/Se ... Id=0500652

The Racoons are going to get a nice new home.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I went back up into the attic yesterday and the squirrels last meal was untouched.

Since the soft plastic plug in his entrance hole was also undisturbed for more than a week, I closed it off permanently with some wood.

If I sealed him inside, which I doubt, time will tell... for now no evidence of new squirrel activity is a good thing. :D

JR

PS, I put one mothball on the roof of my car, and no new muddy cat foot prints up there since. :D
brianroth

Post by brianroth »

The Freon lines going to/from my outdoor AC condenser unit travel UP and through a wooden panel on the underside of the roof's overhang. I believe it is properly called a soffit.

Years ago, we had squirrels in the attic. The little SOBs had climbed up the Freon lines and chewed out the wood surrounding the Freon lines. I attached a piece of plywood to cover the chewed out space. The SOBs ate through that.

So, I took a piece of galvanized steel, used tin snips to make the correct sized hole for the Freon lines, and attached it to the wooden panel on the underside of the roof overhang, using multiple wood screws. End of attic guests!

<g>

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
JR.

Post by JR. »

Yup, the rodent chewed a chunk out of the first piece of 1"x2" wood I put up. We'll see how motivated he is now. He hasn't bothered to even remove the plastic hole plug for 2 weeks, so I am hopeful that my moth balls deterrent, and personal attention has sent him on to greener pastures.

JR