new shiny hammer- or Universal comp

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: new shiny hammer- or Universal comp

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:FWIW We had more than a few build options on the original gain meter and it generated lots of support. Sell a Pico Compressor and a meter and the meter board generates the e-mail. Once Roger did a dedicated GR meter support virtually stopped other than the occasional backwards LEDs.

I love the flexibility but you may find that too many options will result in support issues. It may be better to provide the universal PIC meter IC and different boards based on the number of LEDs. I'd love to have all those features in a one-size-fits-all board but it may create work for you if you decide to sell kits. It's the K-I-S-S principle.
I hear you and I am not looking for more work... Since i would buy raw processors and program them as required I could offer any number of options. I prefer the one chip does all, as it simplifies my end.

I should not try to do too much.. the 3dB step Peak/VU is pretty simple to vary length by adding on more latches and more LEDs. The linear options are the troublemakers to vary display range. (no, I just thought of how to do that) First 8 bits is 1/8ths, second 8 bits, the 1/16th between the 1/8ths.)

If I allowed the 2 input meter micro to select between DC linear and AC log for each input individually, a mono comp could use one input for audio level and the other for GR display.

So I'm now up to 4 personality pins. PK ch1, VU ch1, PK ch 2, VU ch 2. If neither PK or VU is selected, meter displays linear DC. This allows you to mix and match any combination of meter applications. 8 or 16 segment, linear or 3 dB scale.

or not.... but not right now.. I need to ship some drum tuners.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Here a link to meter in action.. image is small probably a cell phone camera?

http://johnhroberts.com/MVI_4975.AVI

or click on picture at to get to same video file

http://johnhroberts.com/tech.htm

Ignore all the other fluff I never finished the website

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am pretty sure I could make my digital LM391x in a 18 pin PIC 2x8 or 2x16 of Pk/VU/LIN or any combination (1 PIC and several 8 bit latches).

Does anybody have any interest? To get the price right I have to buy 250 min so I don't feel lucky. In onsey twosey this would have to be $10+ which is too much (for me.. but I'm cheap).

is $10 too much?

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Does anybody have any interest? To get the price right I have to buy 250 min so I don't feel lucky. In onsey twosey this would have to be $10+ which is too much (for me.. but I'm cheap).

is $10 too much?
For the PIC w/o PCB? Considering what it does that doesn't seem unreasonable to me even if it's just for the PIC. But to get volume up it does seem like there would need to be a PC board bundled with it at some price.

One of the things people are always wanting to do is put one of our GR-10 meters into other stuff. They need it to be small for their 500-series projects etc. Our GR-s don't do level metering on their own. If you could do a level meter or dual level meter in a very small form-factor I think it would do rather well.

Wayne
JR.

Post by JR. »

Tying it to a PCB seems kind of constraining to me. I was hoping it might be seen as a universal meter solution to be integrated into sundry applications.

I looked at your GR10 and this PIC approach wouldn't be smaller than that, more like the same size but with two meters in that same or similar footprint. If I was going for absolute smallest mono meter, I'd be inclined to lose the serial latches and drive LEDs directly from PIC, the older 8 bit 5v PIC with 10b A/D might be more appropriate.

My proposed dual approach would support a one PIC solution that makes say a 8 LED GR meter "and" an 8 or more (up to 16) LED audio meter. In decent numbers the PIC could come down to more like $5, but is not a very appealing project for me. Lots of touches for a couple bux.

Since I have horsepower left over in the processor after a simple meter I may need to go ahead and make a comp/limiter... then you tack a VCA onto it too.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Well I've heard back from the PLASA and AES shows and the Peak/VU meter was well received...

JR
mediatechnology

Congratulations JR!

How do we get some?
JR.

Post by JR. »

I assume you're not talking about buying the console.. :D

I have pondered what to do with this technology. I long ago gave up on personally pursuing the kit business since I think the financial model is broken, due to manufacturing automation.

There is probably a niche market, or should be, for these meters in the recording market.

I think I already described how this makes sense to me. Selling just the programmed chips, that could then be adapted using personality jumpers, and by how many latches are connected, for a range of different display lengths and modes. There is a chicken/egg thing going on about cost where to get what I consider a decent selling price requires committing to several hundred parts.

Another possibility is slightly less flexible but perhaps more attractive where a generic small SMT PCB assembly is engineered that has the microprocessor, latches, personality programming jumpers, and PS, but LED lines come out to a header, so this can be used in combination with a lower technology DIY through hole PCB to make sundry displays.

Alternately I might share this with other console makers, just because I want to see my old Pk/VU invention used, but in deference to the company working with me now, I wouldn't share my work with their competitors any time soon.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I generated a video of the Pk/VU meter.

I added another feature, there's now a peak hold on the top red LED and it triggers from peak level, even if meter is in average only display mode.

http://www.johnhroberts.com/Candy.wmv

music is by an old friend of mine

JR
mediatechnology

Very cool! Thanks for sending that in.