Transformer Inductance

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
Bruno2000

Transformer Inductance

Post by Bruno2000 »

I need a fairly large inductance in a small package, so I thought about using a miniature audio transformer with the windings connected in series. Is there a way to figure out what the inductance would be, knowing the impedance and the DC resistance (or should I just buy one and measure it)?
Thanks!
Bruno2000
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away - Tom Waits
JR.

Re: Transformer Inductance

Post by JR. »

I have no practical experience with this. I don't know if you can use transformer action to get something for nothing. I wouldn't think there is an easy substitute for copper and iron to give large LF signal handling.

When in doubt, try it and see what happens.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
emrr

Post by emrr »

I think you'll have to buy a meter. I think there are some ways you can rig a meter set-up, but owning a meter is probably worth it in the long run. I think CJ or PRR may have posted a method at PP.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Bruno2000

Post by Bruno2000 »

Thanks folks,
Looks like plan B. Buy the transformer and measure it.
I've seen some LC meters on eBag that will go up to 20H for about $30. Anybody ever used one of these?
Bruno2000
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away - Tom Waits
JR.

Post by JR. »

I'm not sure what your application is but perhaps prototype up the circuit you want to use the transformer/inductor in, and see how it acts.

I suspect there may be no free lunch here.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Bruno2000 wrote:I need a fairly large inductance in a small package
How big and how small?
JR.

Post by JR. »

Thinking out loud, without knowing what you are trying to do, it is common to use opamps with a small capacitor to mimic a large capacitor, perhaps a similar trick could multiply a small inductor to look like a bigger one.

Also gyrators, use opamps with small caps to mimic inductors, perhaps another option.

If dealing with a lot of current or voltage, you may need to use a real inductor.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I have a hunch we may be making a vintage inductor-based EQ based on a popular design.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Funny I still have some inductors back in my lab I bought to build a 5 band GEQ from a kit in popular electronics back in the '70s. I never built it or any Inductor based EQ, and don't even like the common gyrator based EQs (gyrator as shunt to ground between opamp + and - inputs).

If trying to recreate a classic design, I suspect it would be useful to use the same general components. It's not nice to fool father physics.

JR