DAC output help

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: DAC output help

Post by JR. »

I don't see an obvious smoking gun to blame, while this shouldn't be so hard.

I repeat some of my earlier advice to consider changing around the voltage divider so DAC never sees large negative potential in any start up scenario.

JR

PS: Zener across vreg output should not be necessary, unless the spike is coming into the VREG from the output side?
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Has this stopped breaking, or have you stopped working on it for a while?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
juniorhifikit

Post by juniorhifikit »

Hi - sorry I've not been visible on my own thread - busy moving from France to US.

Putting the zener diodes on the regulator outputs has eliminated the turn-on transients which seemed to be the culprit of the DAC destruction. The unit has been problem free for almost 2 months, so I'll incorporate the zeners into the final design.

I had re-orientated the bias + DAC output + filters, as we had originally discussed a long while ago to make a higher impedance between the bias feed and the DAC output, but this hadn't eliminated the problem. I had also implemented the tracking bias supply that was suggested... none of this solved the problem, so I bought a new scope, and saw the transients on the supply.

Once I incorporate the THAT1570 layout tips from member "promixe", I should have my final pcb design.