Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
emrr

Re: Entropy

Post by emrr »

Hope the heat treatment sticks.

We have one of those bench frame ends (other was gone) that's a decorative garden piece now. Felt the same way when we saw it by the road.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

emrr wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:57 am Hope the heat treatment sticks.
Thanks, I remain optimistic but won't take a victory lap yet. Since I left the cold water turned off under the sink it is only pulling hot water that has been cooked previously inside the hot water tank.

Fingers crossed.
We have one of those bench frame ends (other was gone) that's a decorative garden piece now. Felt the same way when we saw it by the road.
My neighbor who rebuilt a bunch of these (I don't remember where he got them) had a pair of cute short/small cast chair end frames apparently for children's seats. I guess they could have been made into short benches but he made two single small chairs from them. Too small for an adult to sit comfortably (I tried). :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

P1010288.JPG
OK fixed it, a simple spring in compression works. I had to double up the standard spring to get enough return force, and you can still see the old broken spring (really hard to cut... which may say something about spring's brittleness).

I used cable ties to attach the valve actuation lever to the spring so not a pretty fix... I tried a flat washer on top of the spring but it gets cocked at an angle and drags, locking up.

JR

PS: Yes i know I need to clean my sink... :oops:
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

In Brooklyn I see beautiful cast iron benches with rotted slats in the trash all the time. I can't believe people throw them away when all they need are new slats. I have too many projects at the moment to start collecting those. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of hours to install new slats that were cut to width. They only need a couple of holes for carridge bolts and to be cut to length.
What a waste.
Gold

Post by Gold »

You’d be amazed at what gets thrown away in NYC. No one has room to store things so very expensive perfectly good stuff gets tossed all the time.
mediatechnology

You’d be amazed at what gets thrown away in NYC. No one has room to store things so very expensive perfectly good stuff gets tossed all the time.
And its not like you can drive down to Lowe's, throw the 1x3s in the back of the truck, back it into your driveway and unload it either.
I can only imagine the difficulty in moving a small amount of material in a cab or on the subway.

I still remember the story about a friend moving some metal shelves in the freight elevator IIRC around 28th St.
Some of the pieces were too long so they extended out the top hatch.
On the way up one snagged on the elevator shaft.
There was "exploding" twisted steel everywhere before they could hit the emergency stop.
Fortunately no one was hurt.

It's our monthly bulk pick-up and I did my neighborhood dumpster-dive yesterday.
My last really good score was a nice bench to place in front of a big window.
We had bought one about like it recently around $200.
It looked like they had recovered this one and it was in really good shape.

A few months ago someone threw out a nice double chest of drawers that had been made from a 1950s kit.
I used that one in the garage to store wire and cable.

When we throw out metals they disappear in less than 12 hours.
Cast iron would be pounced on.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I have a mini van. I couldn’t do the Adirondack project without it. I also am always moving stuff around. I pay a fortune for parking so I use the minivan for storage too. Like last month I bought a couch from Craigslist to go up there. It lived in the van for almost a month. My apartment is on the 4th floor with no elevator so big heavy stuff is a no go. There is no room to keep anything in the studio.
JR.

Post by JR. »

More yard drama... I guess trees falling down qualifies as entropy.
before
P1010286.JPG
after
P1010289.JPG
I predicted it would drop, but hoped it would make it until the pecans ripened... lots of unripe pecans, that will never ripen.

I know what I'll be doing today, all day.

JR

PS; I feel like I need to comment on my good fortune about how it dropped... It could have taken out my power line and phone line. It could have blocked the road. It could have fallen in the middle of the week. Kind of fortunate when and how it decided to go. The trunk was almost hollow from carpenter ants snacking on it. While the trunk was weakened, it was a root that broke allowing it to fall. That root was huge maybe 8-10" diameter. The tree was very heavy with growth, and rain water.
p1010290.JPG
The root that broke was out of frame to the right, but root directly opposing the fall was already completely gone, so remaining roots were twisted to fail.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’m supposed to get a chain saw lesson from my friend the excavator in the future. He’s on me to make fire wood out of some of the trees he cleared for the road. He says there is over $500 in firewood. I’ve never used a chain saw. I’m scared of them. I’m kind of partial to my limbs and digits. He also volunteered to Bri g over his log splitter. We have some of the wood covered and drying but some of it is going to start to rot soon. There are some really nice cedar logs that we want to save for posts.
mediatechnology

JR - You predicted the eminent demise of that pecan tree just a week or so ago. Your aerial power drop was the first think I saw and thought "what a lucky break." That was too close for comfort. A new service entry would be a big huge hassle. You've got some good smoking wood for the barbecue.

Paul - I think chainsaws are a lot like motorcycles, weapons, aircraft etc. The day you stop being afraid of them is the day you get hurt. My Dad taught me a lot about chainsaws and their danger when we I was quite young. He climbed - I refuse to climb. So that's one danger eliminated. Lately my big worry about using the chainsaw are the snakes beneath my feet. There's one guy in Texas right now bitten by a small rattlesnake whose medical bill last I heard was $175,000.