MCI console automation retrofit

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
brianroth

MCI console automation retrofit

Post by brianroth »

Wayne, I didn't know where to post this....please move the thread elsewhere if it makes better sense.

IIRC from the dusty corners of memory that you were involved with the design of an automation system retrofit for the MCI JH-50. Presuming my memory is correct, I'm curious about any details, availability of any components, etc.

Thanks!

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
mediatechnology

Re: MCI console automation retrofit

Post by mediatechnology »

Brian - That was Russ Whitaker of Dallas Sound Lab now MediaTech Institute. I was only involved peripherally. IIRC it was a JH-500 Automation to Midi Interface.
brianroth

Post by brianroth »

OK, I guess I'm still in the weeds! lol

I still run across MCI JH-600 series desks "in the wild", and with the automated version, when the JH-50 system craps out, important features are kaput. Fader mute is the most important, but solo in place and fader grouping are quite useful.

I have a client who still uses the fader automation when mixing, although his JH-24 is retired and he works with an Alesis (?) 24 track hard disc recorder or a DAW. He uses two tracks in the DAW/whatever to do read/write/update, and he has a fairly busy amount of clients.

When I was working at A-Mc Advertising in the 1980's, a third-party (I seem to recall they were in Atlanta) sold a drop-in CPU card that worked with the digitizer boards.

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I recall Russ building replacement digitizers.
You might want to talk to Russell and see what happened to his prototypes. https://mediatech.edu/

Russell might be a good service lead for you.
Last time I saw him he was doing most of it himself over several locations.

I think once you had circuitry to mux all the faders you could probably run the entire automation system on a Rasberry Pi and have Midi out with an HDMI console display.

Speaking of video displays for console automation...
Someone needs to make an LCD replacement for the SSL 4000 and 6000 inbuilt monitor.