Pico DIY boards now officially sold out.

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
Gold

Re: Pico DIY boards now officially sold out.

Post by Gold »

I feel like a member of an exclusive club. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in. I've learned a ton by seeing the design come together. The very detailed practical and theoretical information of the design on this forum is incredible.

And I'm glad I stocked up on boards...
Holger

Post by Holger »

Thanks again for this great project. I've built a double mono and a stereo version,
I'm glad that I didn't missed this.
-Holger
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Thanks Holger and Paul.

We will be operating the forum for support for an indefinite time and I, and hopefully others, will continue to post new ideas here as well as documents for older semiconductors and pro-audio equipment.

The MS matrix and bruno2000's upcoming mic preamp serve as an example of a non-compressor applications that were (and will be) given birth to here. Being in the studio equipment service business most of my career - not recording engineering - has taught me the value documentation. Those are two areas for growth for this forum.

One of the above missions continues to be taking newer ideas (or new "re purposed" spins on old ones) and introducing them here in hopes of them becoming adopted in the mainstream. With any luck, the MS matrix or DC-coupled mic preamp might become an example. DIY boards help do this. Roger has certainly raised the bar high taking the Pico Compressor from a DIY board to becoming a pro-audio manufacturer and AES exhibitor. This is the polar opposite of cloning: Taking someone else's idea (even public domain ones) that did receive adoption in the mainstream and copying it. The former is a lot more work than the later as we all know.

So stayed tuned as we (slowly) morph into other areas.

Wayne
emrr

Post by emrr »

Best wishes for the future. Hopefully we can keep this place moving in new directions.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Bruno2000

Post by Bruno2000 »

mediatechnology wrote:Thanks Holger and Paul.

We will be operating the forum for support for an indefinite time and I, and hopefully others, will continue to post new ideas here as well as documents for older semiconductors and pro-audio equipment.

The MS matrix and bruno2000's upcoming mic preamp serve as an example of a non-compressor applications that were (and will be) given birth to here. Being in the studio equipment service business most of my career - not recording engineering - has taught me the value documentation. Those are two areas for growth for this forum.

One of the above missions continues to be taking newer ideas (or new "re purposed" spins on old ones) and introducing them here in hopes of them becoming adopted in the mainstream. With any luck, the MS matrix or DC-coupled mic preamp might become an example. DIY boards help do this. Roger has certainly raised the bar high taking the Pico Compressor from a DIY board to becoming a pro-audio manufacturer and AES exhibitor. This is the polar opposite of cloning: Taking someone else's idea (even public domain ones) that did receive adoption in the mainstream and copying it. The former is a lot more work than the later as we all know.

So stayed tuned as we (slowly) morph into other areas.

Wayne
Thanks again to Roger and Wayne for the Picos. The 12 Pack is a great addition to the Remote Truck. I'm about to take apart my mono prototypes, and reconfigure them into a Stereo Mastering unit, with ALL of the options. The mastering guy at our place has also been after me to finish the MS matrix since he read about it here.

I second the notion of newer ideas. I "needed" some more mic preamps for audience mics in the truck, and was going to just knock off some SSL 9Ks, but instead, because of this forum, expanded on Wayne's efforts with his servo design (all I really did was add some junk like a HPF, and a meter), and had some boards done. Photos soon.

While I do appreciate the Picos, it's much more fun to build something from the circuit up, rather than just stuffing a board. I'll be taking a hard look at the THAT chip line-up to see what else I can use.

Morph away!

Best,
Bruno2000
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away - Tom Waits
jeffrey_burr

Post by jeffrey_burr »

Oh how sad, the pico was one of my "someday" projects. snoozed/loozed.
natek

Post by natek »

Its sad yes but the only way to really move along and get work done! I put all my other projects aside and built the SE-II i have in a weekend, a few calls to Roger to harass him on some silly Q's but it went quick. Look around the DIY forums there might be some PICO PCB's flying around people just didnt get to....
pranza

searching for an sidechain board for pico

Post by pranza »

hello,
i know pico boards are no longer made, but what about sidechain expansion? is it possible to get one or schema / drawings of it?
i'd like to add sidechain capability to my pico stereo edition :)

thanks~,
p
emrr

Post by emrr »

The short version is that if you have your Pico SE schematics, you can create a side chain switch at the point where c28 diverges from the direct audio path. There you can add a duplicate balanced input stage if you want only that part, or if you want send and return, you add an additional 1646 output stage directly from the 1246 output, and another 1246 input stage that feeds c28 directly. There are more fine details, but nothing mysterious. The additional stages are simple to build up on perf board. Roger's proto versions used relay switching, but it could be done with a toggle too.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

Is the schematic published or proprietary? Just curious - it seems like this has been a very successful design and I missed the boat.

-j