Well, I got COVID and it sucked.

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Well, I got COVID and it sucked.

Post by mediatechnology »

The supplement manufacturers are not protected from civil or criminal liability; the biologic products from pharmaceutical companies are.

Who do you trust less?
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 pm The supplement manufacturers are not protected from civil or criminal liability; the biologic products from pharmaceutical companies are.

Who do you trust less?
The internet... :?
===
I take a couple real medicines... A synthetic thyroid supplement to compensate for low thyroid output, and a medication for BPH (getting old sux). I also take naproxen sodium (aleve) for an arthritic knee.

Some of the claims made for supplements in TV commercials are fantastic... then there's more mainstream OTC medicines.

A FDA panel has just declared that phenylephrine — the active ingredient in Sudafed, Benadryl, Robitussin, and other popular decongestants — is nearly useless at reducing nasal congestion.

Phenylephrine first came to prominence in 2006 after another decongestant, pseudoephedrine, was taken off drugstore shelves because it’s an ingredient in the illegal stimulant methamphetamine.

Of course no studies about the efficacy of meth. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

The internet... :?
Agreed when its a non-authoritative and a highly-manipulated source like Google, YouTube, Wikipedia etc.

But I fail to see a distinction between an identical primary source viewed on the internet, in a public library or mailed to your doorstep.
One exception might be retracted papers whose retraction goes un-noticed or not published in one medium but not another.

The efficacy of some supplements I can directly measure. Krill/Fish oil and Nattokinase both lower BP in 30-60 minutes.
I'm not hypertensive but I can see systolic and diastolic BP both drop by 10-15 mm Hg and at-rest pulse from 65-68 drop to 55-60 or less.
Call me mellow.
A FDA panel has just declared that phenylephrine — the active ingredient in Sudafed, Benadryl, Robitussin, and other popular decongestants — is nearly useless at reducing nasal congestion.
I haven't taken anything like that in 20 years so I wouldn't know.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 pm The supplement manufacturers are not protected from civil or criminal liability; the biologic products from pharmaceutical companies are.

Who do you trust less?
I am not entirely sure. I definitely don't trust pharmaceuticals, but I do know that some people decide to basically sell the weed growing in their backyard, they put it into a bag and tag it as a herbal supplement, and there you go....
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

Just bought my Tom's of Maine deodorant and an Arm & Hammer fluoride-free toothpaste, the thing tastes like crap, probably the way toothpaste should really taste. Let's see how it goes.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

After I got COVID I've noticed that I get episodes of sudden dizziness or light-headedness, they are very brief, but I don't like them one bit. You know, kind of like when you stand up very quickly after sitting on a chair for a while, but they don't last as long and they are not as intense as in this example. Also, I get some sort of palpitations or a sudden sting in my chest at times, it doesn't really hurt, but it feels uncomfortable and scares me. I already went to the physician and he told me that I am in perfect health, my blood pressure is beyond perfect, my oxygenation and sugar levels are great, he listened to my heartbeat and breathing, etc... however, he recommended an ECG and other stuff to make sure there is nothing wrong.

Anyway, my question is: have you heard of these sort of symptoms in cases of COVID before? particularly the dizziness? If so, what is a possible remedy/supplement? I really don't have too much of the "COVID fog" that people keep mentioning to me, but I do feel that, at times, my concentration is not as good as before, still, I am perfectly capable of engaging deeply into a very intellectually demanding activity for hours. I notice the concentration thing more often when I read books and I have to go back and read again more frequently than before, but I also have a very obsessive personality, so it might as well be all part of my regular craziness and autosuggestion.

I don't know if my symptoms are a result of COVID or something else, but, you know what they say, if it looks like a duck....
JR.

Post by JR. »

Getting old kind of sucks... lots of random transitory symptoms.

Orthostatic hypotension, also known as postural hypotension, is a medical condition wherein a person's blood pressure drops when standing up or sitting down. As we get older our body's ability to regulate blood pressure changes degrades making us more susceptible to such events.

I experienced dizziness from bending over forward, and straightening up too quickly. I stopped doing that. ;)

JR

PS: I never had covid but will surely die from the vaccine. :roll:
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

JR. wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:52 am Getting old kind of sucks... lots of random transitory symptoms.

Orthostatic hypotension, also known as postural hypotension, is a medical condition wherein a person's blood pressure drops when standing up or sitting down. As we get older our body's ability to regulate blood pressure changes degrades making us more susceptible to such events.

I experienced dizziness from bending over forward, and straightening up too quickly. I stopped doing that. ;)

JR

PS: I never had covid but will surely die from the vaccine. :roll:
Well, I'm close to being 40, so I don't think it is due to old age (I hope). I could definitely take more exercise, though.