Technology progresses

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Technology progresses

Post by mediatechnology »

It wasn't a Lowes problem but after getting two bad ones I wanted another model.
Lowes didn't have anything I wanted.

Apparently this Whirlpool modulated the hot water valve to control temperature.
The rep ended up inspecting these machines and found that a connector, on two serial numbers that were about 10-15 units apart, had not been plugged in.
Since there were complaints from owners about these machines causing pipe hammering as they modulated hot water I decided to pass on one with a working hot water control system.

@Bill we used to have a Roper top-loader that destroyed clothes and caused pilling.

The Speed Queen is pretty gentle.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I don't think you can buy hot fill machines any more in UK. All heat their own water.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 am Top loaders died out in UK with my grandmothers generation (she always used a twin tub). I have to say my experience of early 90s vintage american top loaders is that they just destroy clothes. But I still hang washing on a line!
I don't think the new top loader is anything like your grandmothers... It has 11 different wash cycles, too many to easily keep track of... Like what's the difference between delicate and casual? :lol: (WTF is casual? OK I looked it up and still can't explain it). With 11 different wash cycles, I'd need to separate my wash into about a half dozen different loads every wash day, to use them all properly.

Back when I was working in an office 5 days a weeks and wearing dress shirts I separated my week's wash into two loads, last couple decades I just throw everything in together.. I may start doing a couple smaller loads again, not sure how that is more efficient. :lol:

My new medium size washer is larger than my old high capacity model, :roll: but the automatic fill level supports doing smaller loads, so this could work. I guess consumers at POS value all those many options, me not so much.

JR

PS: So far if anything it is much better behaved and quieter than my old washer. Since my washer is about a foot from my hot water heater I don't expect much pipe hammer. The only way I could tell it was pulling hot water was I felt the feed hose and it was warm... I typically use cooler temp settings but I think it still uses hot/warm at initial start up. It definitely makes different weird new noises, but that's just the new technology micro managing stuff...
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

11? That's a bit low*. My Fathers girlfriend always has to have the best and I remember her having a machine back in the 70s with 16 programs (on cards you slotted in). I never did understand 'minimum iron, heavy soil' :)

One thing that never made it from Japan was the fuzzy logic washing machine for men. It had one button. You put the clothes in, it worked out what they were and how dirty they were and washed accordingly.

Have the new front loaders with the built in leak source reached you guys? These have a secondary door for when you have set the machine off then find the missing sock so you can add it whilst the machine is running. BAD idea.

*The poverty spec rental special in our house has 15. I use one of them :).
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 pm 11? That's a bit low*. My Fathers girlfriend always has to have the best and I remember her having a machine back in the 70s with 16 programs (on cards you slotted in). I never did understand 'minimum iron, heavy soil' :)
My old machine had two wash cycles. Perhaps minimum iron means not permanent press... My machines two modes where white and perm press...
One thing that never made it from Japan was the fuzzy logic washing machine for men. It had one button. You put the clothes in, it worked out what they were and how dirty they were and washed accordingly.
I haven't heard "fuzzy logic" mentioned for decades. Early days of using embedded controllers for other than binary decision making.
Have the new front loaders with the built in leak source reached you guys? These have a secondary door for when you have set the machine off then find the missing sock so you can add it whilst the machine is running. BAD idea.
When I cleaned out about half of my laundry room, while washer was removed, I discarded an old dresser that I haven't used for decades. I put it out there for storage but the drawers were sticky so never used as intended. I found a pair of socks in there that was so old, they had dog hair in them. I put my (extremely old) dalmatian down almost 35 years ago. I forgot how everything I owned back then was covered with short white dog hairs. :lol:
===
One interesting feature of the new washer that I haven't tested is an automatic effort to correct imbalanced loads, apparently they don't expect it to work every time because they also have a just in case setting to rinse/spin after you rebalance a load that didn't completely spin dry. I have become pretty proficient about balancing out the clothes when loading the tub because my old machine would easily start slamming into its sides when clothes clumped up on one side.
*The poverty spec rental special in our house has 15. I use one of them :).
Agreed.. too many options is not all that useful. Maybe if I was generating more dirty laundry. :oops:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I am slow to buy into the theme that my old top loading washing machine was chewing up my clothes, but once again the significantly reduced amount of lint in my dryer lint trap suggests less wear and tear. This upgrade fixed something I didn't know was broken. :lol:

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 am I am slow to buy into the theme that my old top loading washing machine was chewing up my clothes, but once again the significantly reduced amount of lint in my dryer lint trap suggests less wear and tear. This upgrade fixed something I didn't know was broken. :lol:

JR
My Mom used to give the lint to the squirrels so that they could use them to build nests.

Somehow I don't see you doing that. :lol:
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

JR. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 am I am slow to buy into the theme that my old top loading washing machine was chewing up my clothes, but once again the significantly reduced amount of lint in my dryer lint trap suggests less wear and tear. This upgrade fixed something I didn't know was broken. :lol:

JR
Surely lint is f(drying time)? in which case better spin=less drying time
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:01 am

JR
Surely lint is f(drying time)? in which case better spin=less drying time
Yes but I can't ignore the much gentler agitation process... Instead of vigorous back and forth (clunk, clunk, clunk), the new machine is whoosh, pause, whoosh, pause...

I guess I could experiment with drying using lower temperature so it runs longer.

JR

PS: I am starting to get early drops from my pecan trees (they drop off weak nuts to conserve water), and unlike last year I am not seeing any chews... Maybe I could use lint as squirrel bait, but for now I am glad to not see them in my yard (yet). Surely they will get hungry when nuts are ripe.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 am

JR
My Mom used to give the lint to the squirrels so that they could use them to build nests.
My mom used a clothesline, until she finally upgraded to a dryer (sometime in the 60s).

I remember as a kid having to go back into the pine forest (our property was next to a reservoir watershed stand of pines) to collect pine straw for the chicken nests. Our chickens liked to lay their eggs in nice pine straw nests.
Somehow I don't see you doing that. :lol:
Yup, me and the squirrels have an adversarial relationship.

So far I have not shot at birds, but it was getting close. Today I finally got my first ripe fig this year, that hadn't been previously sampled by birds. Typically I have to harvest them before they ripen, and cut off the bird bites. It rained over an inch on saturday so I didn't check my fig tree saturday afternoon. By sunday morning my one ripe fig was torn to shreds.
DSCF0190.JPG
I put a DIY bird net over the next one coming and it worked... Today my proper bird net arrived so tree is now covered with net and I may get the remaining half dozen or so figs ripe and without the birds getting to eat them.

JR