Technology progresses

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Technology progresses

Post by JR. »

I'm shocked, but the white goods industry has not been standing still the last few decades. :lol:

I noticed less than a decade ago when my dishwasher failed that the replacement was much improved. I like the incorporation of microprocessors and decades of R&D.

I just replaced my washing machine, even though it was still working, but the clunk, clunk, clunk seemed to be progressing to bang, bang, bang. I did one last load with the old washer and like a girl friend who knows she is approaching her expiration date is on her best behavior, it worked flawlessly, except for the clunk, clunk, clunk.

Today my new $500 GE... not even a high efficiency model, or full featured, or largest tub, but I think I will keep it... :lol: It makes new different noises, but generally a lot quieter, with tons of new options. Not an apples to apples comparison but the first load seemed to dry faster (perhaps due to longer spin cycle). If I believe the literature it is less abusive to fabrics and there was less lint in the dryer lint trap.. I am suspicious the high efficiency model is just a sales feature and the low efficiency model does similar water saving and energy saving tricks.

I feel a little guilty because the old washer still works... I may write that on it and leave it at the curb with a $0 price... I bet somebody takes it.

Just like I waited too long to upgrade my air conditioner, I waited too long on this. I bet a new corvette is better technology than my 22 YO mustang. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Re: Technology progresses

Post by billshurv »

I always feel guilty getting rid of things that work. I replaced the breadmaker about 6 year ago. The old one was fine, but given it had been given to me by wife 1 it was starting to get awkward using it after I got remarried. The replacement does make better bread, but has rusted badly inside.

If I'd stayed in America I would be the guy with an old pickup in the yard with a tree growing through it as I was sure I would fine a use for it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 am I always feel guilty getting rid of things that work. I replaced the breadmaker about 6 year ago. The old one was fine, but given it had been given to me by wife 1 it was starting to get awkward using it after I got remarried. The replacement does make better bread, but has rusted badly inside.
Maybe gift it back to wife #1
If I'd stayed in America I would be the guy with an old pickup in the yard with a tree growing through it as I was sure I would fine a use for it.
Funny story... there is a cheesy farm produce stand out by the interstate... They may source one or two items locally but 90% is the same as sold by walmart for a lot less money... When this new business opened a couple years ago they ran TV ads saying come see our new store across the road from the old one (they sold tomatoes from a green house across the road). BUT, they had decorated the front of the new stand with an old rusty pickup truck and some rusty farm equipment (I can't imagine who did their decorating). Their new store looked like it must be the old one they mentioned in the ad. There were people stopping and asking for directions a couple miles away after they drove right past the "new" stand with old rusty farm equipment out front. :lol:

JR

PS: when I was kid growing up in NJ we would be the family with a car up on cinder blocks in front of the house. My mother grew up on a farm in NC so was more tolerant of such things than our neighbors. Me and my two older brothers worked on cars and a popular way to get inexpensive motors and such was to buy an old car and strip it for parts, then give what was left to a junkyard. These days the junk yard probably charges to accept a junker. Sometimes we'd have to throw in an extra dead battery or leaky radiator... to keep the junk man happy if the car was stripped too clean.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

It varies on steel prices. Last time I needed junkers removing they took them for free. Some years you'll get a few £, some you'll have to pay for removal.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Is your new washer transmission-less?

Direct drive has been a huge breakthrough.
Requires rare earth magnets though...
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:39 am Is your new washer transmission-less?
I suspect so... the wash cycle agitation is much gentler whoosh, pause, whoosh, pause, whoosh.. instead of clunk, clunk, clunk of reciprocating gear driven agitation. I don't know if they alternate direction.
Direct drive has been a huge breakthrough.
Requires rare earth magnets though...
They run the spin cycle longer so new motors may be more efficient than old and not an energy consumption concern. While getting more water out before putting clothes in the dryer saves energy. They seem interested in saving water perhaps more than electricity, with more options for wash temperature to use less hot water.

I didn't even buy the fancy full featured high efficiency model. I'm still trying to figure out all the different wash modes. :lol:

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

Some 50 years ago, I had an old washing machine that had gone, clang, clang, clang for years long.
I changed the two roller bearings at the drum, then I had a brand new machine.
Took about, an hour, the roller bearing shop was nearby.
Nowdays, this shop doesn' t exist anymore and we change the machine anyway.
When I was a kid, one of our playgrounds was the junk area of the factory were they made that particular brand. A great junck supply to make all sorts of toys. This is gone long ago too, nowdays, kids toys are junck made in China.
That was so many years before programmed obsolescence and fake ecology.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I tend to repair things as long as it doesn't involve water.
That rules out plumbing, washing machines and dishwashers.

I've probably repaired my dryer at least 20 times however.
Think I'm on my third motor and have replaced lots of pulleys, idler tires, glow bars and gas valves.

Years ago I bought and old-school top-loading Speed Queen washing machine and I have never regretted it.

It replaced two brand-new Whirlpools both of which were installed for a grand total of less than 5 minutes.
Both had the same defect: No hot water.
I made Lowes take them both back, gave up on Lowes, got a full refund and then bought the Speed Queen from another dealer.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 am I tend to repair things as long as it doesn't involve water.
That rules out plumbing, washing machines and dishwashers.
I recently replaced the float valve in my toilet that clogged with silt, but I am waiting on my local plumber to replace the cut off valve, I also have an outdoor faucet with broken/missing valve handle, and sacrificial anode stuck in my hot water heater... Each job is small change, but all three together justify a visit from my plumber (In fact he needs to arrange to have a helper with him for the water heater anode that is a two man job). He already looked at the valves and told me how easy it would be, but I remain apprehensive about making a small leak into a big one...
I've probably repaired my dryer at least 20 times however.
Think I'm on my third motor and have replaced lots of pulleys, idler tires, glow bars and gas valves.
knock on wood, my dryer is still drying. Same vintage as my washing machine but less stressed. I worry that it will get jealous of my new washer, but its life just got a little easier since the new washer spins the clothes longer and gets them drier before finishing.
Years ago I bought and old-school top-loading Speed Queen washing machine and I have never regretted it.
I am pleased that I pretty much avoided the entire learning curve with high efficiency front load washers.
It replaced two brand-new Whirlpools both of which were installed for a grand total of less than 5 minutes.
Both had the same defect: No hot water.
I made Lowes take them both back, gave up on Lowes, got a full refund and then bought the Speed Queen from another dealer.
I am not sure I would blame Lowes... sounds like a whirlpool problem... My whirlpool dish washer required a service call to have the control board swapped out..(I think the PC board was assembled in Mexico, but appliance final assembly in US). The dish washer worked but one or more of the indicator LEDs were dark. I looked at the board and never found the bad solder connection. In fact after the swap they just left me the old PCB.

I replaced my old school top loading GE with another top loading GE washing machine. So far I am very pleased. Yesterday I washed my bed sheets and the new machine cleaned out a blood stain, that the old washer didn't. So gentler on fabric, while cleaning better, using less water. Sounds like a win-win-win. Apparently low water level is a common customer concern about modern washing machines so the new machine has multiple level choices to keep everybody happy, including one automatic water level. Yesterday I used the automatic water level and it worked fine.

===

Of course I looked into repairing the old soldier. I found a website repair parts list, but too many of the parts were no longer available. I had the exact same availability problem when I tried to replace the temperature sensor in my wall oven. Looking at the washer exploded parts drawing, I did not like the look of the transmission gear assembly. I didn't want to tear it down and then not be able to source the needed parts. It still works but I couldn't sell it to anybody with a clean conscience. I am still thinking of writing $0 on it, and "still works" when I carry it to the curb for junk pickup next month. I am constantly amazed by what people salvage from my discards.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Top loaders died out in UK with my grandmothers generation (she always used a twin tub). I have to say my experience of early 90s vintage american top loaders is that they just destroy clothes. But I still hang washing on a line!