NE5532 NE5534 THD

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
JR.

Re: NE5532 NE5534 THD

Post by JR. »

Don't diss cascodes... inside ICs you can support all kinds of complexity with little cost impact.

I recall having to arm wrestle Jack Sondermeyer (father of the CS800) to add an op amp front end to his baby. I wanted a balanced input and he was concerned about degrading the 100 dB+ dynamic range. He disappeared into his lab, and after measuring the noise floor of a decent balanced input he stopped arguing. (CS800S was first model with balanced input, you're welcome everybody 8-) ).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Don't diss cascodes... inside ICs you can support all kinds of complexity with little cost impact.
+1.
It's all about die area. Capacitors and precision (trimmed) resistors are the real estate hogs.
Transistor area is cheap.
ricardo

Post by ricardo »

JR. wrote:Don't diss cascodes... inside ICs you can support all kinds of complexity with little cost impact.
I don't. I use them when I need them.

But for a simple Power Amp (single device VAS, EF2 Outputs), their advantage is too slight to be seen if you are doing everything else right (eg NPN i/ps). I'd cascode the i/p LTP if I'm chasing 1ppm THD20k and was getting 2ppm without (a sorta 'real' example). But 'simple' isn't quite in that league.

Don't forget I'm the guy who agonises over adding 2 resistors :o
emrr

Post by emrr »

JR. wrote:(CS800S was first model with balanced input, you're welcome everybody 8-) ).

JR

Thanks JR!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders