Super Low Distortion Ultra Pure Audio Oscillators Revisited

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
mediatechnology

Re: Super Low Distortion Ultra Pure Audio Oscillators Revisited

Post by mediatechnology »

I'm still finishing up "Nacho's" output stage but wanted to post this circuit fragment of the balanced/single-ended version.
When J1-J3 are open the filter is a fully-balanced "double-twin-T" followed by an instrumentation amp.
J1-J3, when linked, change Nacho from a fully-balanced to single-ended Left/Right configuration.
If the single-ended configuration isn't needed, C4-C6 and a pair of trims, VR3/4 could be eliminated.

Nacho 1kHz Notch Filter Circuit Fragment

I'm not yet keen on the idea of introducing electrolytic capacitors in the measurement path but have shown locations for a couple in the +40 dB post-filter stage.

What I've done thus far is let DC offset at the input be subject to DC gain and then AC-couple, with a film cap, the outputs.
The reduction in headroom from allowing offsets to develop is tolerable considering that the rejected fundamental and distortion signal levels are very low, <<-40 dBc.
With 40 dB DC gain and assuming a +/-8V output maximum the inputs will accept up to 80 mV offset before output saturation.

In the unlikely event I ever needed unity DC gain I added locations for two caps in the gain leg.
mediatechnology

I decided to AC-couple the input to the instrumentation amp input.
I stock 0.33µF polypropylene and tested them in this location.
They didn't add any measureable distortion or change the signature in any way and are working at a very,very low level since they're after the notch.

Nacho 1kHz Notch Filter Circuit

I should point out that the cross-coupled THAT1246, when fed into a balanced input downstream, provide very high common mode rejection.

See: "Composite INA Extends CMRR Frequency Range 10X" https://proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/p ... f=12&t=701

I don't really need high CMRR but what I do need is maximum noise rejection from the output of the notch filter into the A/D to find those distortion needles in the haystack.
The easiest way to get the anti-polarity output is cross-connection of a second diff amp.
mediatechnology

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:11 pm I decided to AC-couple the input to the instrumentation amp input.
I stock 0.33µF polypropylene and tested them in this location.
They didn't add any measureable distortion or change the signature in any way and are working at a very,very low level since they're after the notch.

Nacho 1kHz Notch Filter Circuit

I should point out that the cross-coupled THAT1246, when fed into a balanced input downstream, provide very high common mode rejection.

See: "Composite INA Extends CMRR Frequency Range 10X" https://proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/p ... f=12&t=701

I don't really need high CMRR but what I do need is maximum noise rejection from the output of the notch filter into the A/D to find those distortion needles in the haystack.
The easiest way to get the anti-polarity output is cross-connection of a second diff amp.
Before I committed Nacho to a layout I wanted to see if the addition of C9/C10 and C13/C14 had any effect on the measurement.

I used a Wima FKP2 polypropylene for the 0.33 µF C9/C10 because I stock them.
This gives a differential cutoff of about 4.8 Hz with 100KΩ bias resistors.
The reason I want to maintain a low cutoff frequency is that I may want to make a 100 Hz (or lower) notch filter and oscillator.

Then there's C13/C14 to AC-couple and remove offset from differential DC gain or single-ended DC gain when used Left/RIght.
I stock 1 µF polypropylene for the Phono Transfer System with 25.4 mm lead spacing.
They're huge.

C13/C14 at 1 µF provides a 26 Hz Fc.
The THAT1246 diff Zin is 24KΩ. When cross-coupled it's half that at 12KΩ.

I tried a smaller 10 mm 2.2µF Wima polyester and it seemed to not change the oscillator's measured FFT signature.
I may see if I can provide pads for 5, 10 and 25.4 mm lead spacing for C13/C14.
At the end of the day a physically-smaller larger-value polyester may work fine here or the cap could just become a jumper.

The Focusrite 2i2 has 30KΩ/leg input impedance so when connected to the Left/Right outputs the THAT1246 inputs are in parallel with the A/D if they're populated on the PCB.
The THAT1246 CM Zin is 18KΩ. With a second parallel-connected THAT1246 the CM Zin is half that at 9KΩ.
The total load with the A/D connected is just under 7KΩ putting Fc, for single-ended outputs, at 23 Hz with 1 µF caps.

I wanted to avoid introducing any electrolytics in the path and was reluctant to add film blocking caps.
But AC-coupling has so many measurement advantages its worth doing.
Now Nacho can measure in the presence of Phantom power.

I think I'm ready to stick a fork in Nacho too...
terkio

Post by terkio »

I have done more work about the two ways to build a balanced notch filter. This is about J1 and J2. What is best two jumpers or one jumper.
I had thought a twin H was better rather than a double Twin T. It looks good and can be built with all equal capacitors. Then I realized that this was not a rational choice. So, I worked more on this puzzling question.
Building with ideal components, equal value capacitors and resistors C, C, 2C, R, R, R/2 the two ways make no difference at all. To reject 1KHz one needs C=10nF, R=15.915494K.
The proof is from the symmetries of the twin H circuit, the two virtual grounds must have the same voltage.
With real components, the symmetries do
not exist anymore, after trimming they get close but not perfect. So, I tackled this issue with simulations where I deliberately skew one capacitor 10%, to see what happens on the notch depth.
On six simulations, I kept the upper twin T ideal. I skewed the lower twin T using 11nF then 9nF at the left cap, then 22nF then 18nF at the central cap, then 11nF then 9nF at the right cap.
All six simulations give a deeper notch with the double twin T. The double H notch is not so good.
The notch depth are typically -95dB versus -80dB when skewing a 10nF and -95dB versus -75dB when skewing a 20nF.
I can give all the details, the values of trimmed resistors for instance.
I was not expecting such a consistent result over a set of cases that I think well covers the not so ideal circuits.
May be this is splitting hair, with capacitors 1% may be there is no significant difference.
I think there is no need for J1 and J2, only one is fine, a tad better assuming notch depth is the feature that matters.
Last edited by terkio on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mediatechnology

Thanks for doing the sims.
My instincts told me that that J1/J2 could be combined but then I started thinking about it and talked myself out of it. :roll:

Another consideration is calibration.

Nacho needs to be tweaked for the single-ended configuration (links closed) and then, when opened for balanced, the depth is what it is.
The chips fall where they may: As drawn there's no optimizing it for both.

As a practical matter the notch depth isn't that critical since its' whole point is preventing converter overload.
For a +26 dBu input a 30 dB notch has a -4 dBu output.
That's 12 dB of headroom for most converters.
I'm thinking one nulled optimally for unbalanced will null at least 40 dB when switched to balanced.

If I were to combine J1/J2 I could put Balanced/Unbalanced on a DPST switch.
If I were doing it with a relay I think I'd do it a little differently to reduce crosstalk.

To keep the input/output switching down I think two sets of jacks (3 In/3 Out) is simplest and avoids a lot of contacts.
I may use 4 RCA for the unbalanced and two TRS for the balanced connections.
Since its a test instrument I don't mind re-patching the input and output.
terkio

Post by terkio »

I was amazed to see very good notch depth despite a +/- 10% capacitor.
Thanks to the two trimmers adjusted in SE mode to accurately get Fc 1KHz, I get -96dB notch depth on the 6 cases I simulated.
The trimmed 15.9k range is: 14.5k to 17.7k.
The trimmed 15.9k/2 range is: 7.4k to 8.6k.
So, I think you do not need accurate costly capacitors, trimming will fix this like wonder. Very good TempCo seems more important than accuracy.

I understand the trimming is done SE for the two channels, then you switch to balanced and there is no need for more trimming.
In case you make a version dedicated for balanced measurements with 5 x 10nF capacitors and 5 resistors. How will the balanced filter be trimmed ?
It is clear the central resistor needs one trimmer ( instead of the two trimmers of the two channels SE ). I do not see clearly about the two other trimmers.
Are they redundant, so one of them can be suppressed ? Nulling the filter with 2 trimmers is likely easy.
Are they both needed ? Then nulling the filter with 3 trimmers seems a challenge.
mediatechnology

Thanks for running the sims.
It is amazing that loose tolerance caps can produce deep notches.

Mouser stock the 10 nF polypropylene in 1% and the price is pretty reasonable. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/505-FKP20.01-63-1/
ULDO and Nacho combined use 11 so the total cost would be modest around $18.

I use the 10 nF 1% in the RIAA EQ for the PTS and will be using them for the oscillator so I might as well use them in Nacho.
Being the same type as in the oscillator their tempcos should match.

I haven't found any other 1% values Mouser stock so its good to know 5% or even 10% can be made to work particularly for 100 nF and 1 nF that would be used for 100 Hz and 10 kHz.

Bateman in his article (linked to in post #1) adds a trim in series with the Wien bridge's capacitor in the feedback loop of the oscillator.
He says he got the idea from the AD797 datasheet to reduce distortion.
What I think his trim does is peak the frequency of the bridge to correct for component tolerances which in turn reduces distortion.

For a balanced-only build using 5 caps that little voice in my head tells me that I probably ought to use 3 trims to benefit common mode rejection since the bias resistors, R13 and R18, are now on the right-hand side in series with the trims and fixed resistors.
With even 4 trims it's not hard to make it converge in the balanced configuration.
Obviously two trims in the middle leg of the T are redundant so one would become a jumper.

Gold

Post by Gold »

terkio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:47 pm So, I think you do not need accurate costly capacitors, trimming will fix this like wonder. Very good TempCo seems more important than accuracy.
What about a C0G ceramic? They have very stable TempCo and are very linear.
terkio

Post by terkio »

Yes.

A link given by mediatechnology in a previous post.
http://www.janascard.cz/PDF/An%20ultra% ... 0%20dB.pdf
Very informative, a key source.
With:
Resistors are preferably 0.1%, 15 ppm/K through-hole types, capacitors are preferably polystyrene foil types, second best choice are NPO (Negative Positive Zero) with their smaller size and lower temperature coefficients, but slightly higher distortion
mediatechnology

In through-hole larger-values (e.g. 100nF) COG become insanely expensive.
A 581-SR505A104JAR 0.1/50V/5% is $7.28. (Mouser)
At >6800 pF is where they get really expensive.
SMT seems to support larger values in COG but its not worth the hassle and I haven't checked pricing.

The Wima FKP2, which is what I'm using, is the only series I find where Wima even specs a tempco.
The FKP2 is -200 ppm/°C.
Since the oscillator and Nacho use the same value they track together.
I haven't found the FKP2 with it's 200 ppm tempco to really have much effect on frequency stability and only a minor amount on notch depth which is not the be-all end-all.

What I found more interesting is resistor tempco and self-heating.
For the output build-outs it seemed that I was able to lower what tiny distortion was left by using the Vishay PR01 1W metal film power resistors.

The inexpensive Xicon 1/4W 1% are spec'd at 50 ppm/°C and work fine in every low signal level location.
The build-outs see some power.
The PR01 are 200 ppm/°K (200 ppm/°C) but their thermal mass is a lot higher so their delta-R under load are less.
Whether this is necessary or not I'll figure out once I get PC boards.
On the Protoboard the PR01's seemed a tad cleaner.