Something to ponder about IoT

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: Something to ponder about IoT

Post by Gold »

billshurv wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:08 am I assume that phones are the main method of music consumption now. And yet we haven't seen a shift to headphone optimised mixes which I find odd
No more odd then not having specific mixes for different media. You can’t predict how music will be consumed.

All this home automation looks like it makes things more complicated. I like less complicated.A key under the doormat works pretty well.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I have three IoT thingies all of which are for monitoring but not command and control.

One is the WiFi camera which is cloud-based and full of Chinese back doors.
I hope the Chinese enjoy the neighborhood cats pouncing on bugs at 2 AM or the occasional racoon as much as I do.

One very cool and useful IoT item is made by Elertus: https://www.elertus.com/products/
Elertus make door sensor and water (flood) detectors.

Make that four IoT thingies: A SmartMeter (not my choice to have one) Zigbee-linked to a GE Nucleus energy monitor.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I made a point of not connecting my squirrel cameras to the WWW.

I wouldn't mind effective water sensor to automatically start and stop my crawl space sump pump, but I am optimistic that when I add gutters to my house (scheduled for next week). That will direct a bunch of water away from my foundation and dry things up even more than my upgraded rain ditch management. Using Iot when I already have a pump down there with power, why not add to that existing bundle. I hope it is too late to worry about automating this. 8-)

After almost two weeks without rain we got a shower yesterday, < 1/4" accumulation but still appreciated. I looked at the radar while it was happening and there was only this one small red/yellow spot of rain over my town on the whole radar map. :lol:
===

I can imagine an application for monitoring old people who want to live alone. Of course that assumes someone else in the world cares if you fall and can't get up, to pay attention to monitors. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Interestingly some of the best research in 'computer aided' medicine is in Renal medicine in UK. Basically their view is that every patient who needs to go to a hospital for dialysis is a failure on their part so there is a lot of research on early detection as well as home treatments.

Most IoT doesn't really have a benefit beyond 'ooh shiny' for the consumer and 'sign here for monthly payments' from the supplier.

Juicero is still possibly the stupidest internet connected idea yet. Although internet connected kettles come a close second.
mediatechnology

It seems like Amazon's Alexa could be easily marketed to people who need regular virtual "wellness checks."
Great Call - the Jitterbug phone people - should be all over this.
Or someone like OnStar.

"Good morning Mrs. Newton how are you feeling today?"

Being one to be more off-grid than in the Matrix I have some Motorola FRS Radios on my "to buy" list.
My wife and I and a few neighbors need to build an emergency comms network.
All of our cell towers are co-located along a transmission line.
One tornado would take every single one of them out.

I have an MD (ER/trauma), a PA and a certified EMS tech all within a few hundred yards.
They all need radios.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:43 am It seems like Amazon's Alexa could be easily marketed to people who need regular virtual "wellness checks."
Or someone like OnStar.

This is a scenario I seriously looked at, but I had a real moral dilemma with it as health providers would use this as an excuse to NOT visit people and some some oldsters the vist of a community carer is the only human interaction that they might have. And you cannot guarantee broadband...
mediatechnology

billshurv wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 am
mediatechnology wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:43 am It seems like Amazon's Alexa could be easily marketed to people who need regular virtual "wellness checks."
Or someone like OnStar.

This is a scenario I seriously looked at, but I had a real moral dilemma with it as health providers would use this as an excuse to NOT visit people and some some oldsters the vist of a community carer is the only human interaction that they might have. And you cannot guarantee broadband...
That's exactly right. It would have to augment.

WRT loss of broadband the Elertus constantly pings its' cloud server.
When I have loss of connectivity I start getting email and SMS alerts from the Elertus cloud.
The Elertus units are usually the canary in the coal mine when our broadband starts having low S/N ratio and packet loss.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

And again for a universal system where the broadband is supplied by the healthcare system there needs to be the whole system in place to remotely monitor and raise tickets etc etc. It suddenly becomes very complex. health apps for healthy 30 somethings are a lot easier!
mediatechnology

My wife has a CPAP machine that's always showing 4-5 bars signal.
Who the carrier is, what network and what data is being sent, if any, is unknown.
She bought her machine privately based on a paper Rx.
IoT device #5...

For an Alexa-like medical monitoring device the mobile network would perfect.
Seems like the bandwidth and traffic requirements would be low and service almost universal.
As universal as the "Help I've fallen and get get up" gizmo.

Here in the US we have "Meals on Wheels" which provides an almost-daily meal delivery and wellness check by a person.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

We have meals on wheels too. A vital community service IMO

Cellular is the right bearer, but there isn't a cellular alexa so you need custom stuff (which you always would need).

To go to the other extreme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48202236 this woman has lived totally off grid her entire life. Not even running water!

For those who have played with AMPR in all its forms of course a lot of this stuff was done 25 years ago. And was google free!