CE certification

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
juniorhifikit

CE certification

Post by juniorhifikit »

Hi all,

I'm looking to sell something I've designed and have started manufacturing, and in looking at CE certification for European distribution, I'm not finding any specific information on exactly what to test for. I've looked at all of the directives that apply, and I understand that I can "self-certify" by making a declaration of conformity, but nowhere on the European Commission website do they list the actual numbers one needs to hit. Specifically, I'm looking at EMC, LV (low voltage), and RoHS compliance.

I simply can not afford to go to a lab and pay upwards of $10K for the above testing and certification. I was hoping that if I could see the actual data of what they're measuring, I could measure myself and make my declaration. Does anyone know where I can get these spec's? What do other small pro audio manufacturers (Like Roger's FCS) do to conform?

Thanks,

Scott Greiner
jlm

Re: CE certification

Post by jlm »

Download an owner'smanual from any reputable manufacturer. There ought to be a page with all the certs, so you'll know what you should look for. Then you'll have to purchase the relevant documents from your local standard institute or whatever you call it.
The hard thing is the EMC compliance. If you have a switching PSU, or a certain amount of high-speed logic or an RF transmitter or a high power amp, you're in trouble. But if you have a reasonably designed piece of analog gear with a linear PSU, it should be easy.
juniorhifikit

Post by juniorhifikit »

jlm wrote:The hard thing is the EMC compliance. If you have a switching PSU, or a certain amount of high-speed logic ... you're in trouble.
Yes to both :(

I'm not sure what a "local standard institute" is here in the U.S. I don't understand why they don't make the information readily available on the European Commission website.
jlm

Post by jlm »

juniorhifikit wrote: I'm not sure what a "local standard institute" is here in the U.S.
I can't answer that, but I'm sure UL will tell you. In France, it's AFNOR, in Germany DIN, in the UK BSI, all are members of the ISO.
I don't understand why they don't make the information readily available on the European Commission website.
They make money selling these documents.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I believe the FCC is the local authority on RF emissions for the US. While the CE regulation is not just for interference generated, but behavior in the presence of interference, without much clear definition of how much and what kind...

Enjoy...

FWIW you can get a sense for how much of a EMI source you are with a high bandwidth scope and crude antenna. You could even rent a big dog spectrum analyzer if you knew what the targets are to meet.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
juniorhifikit

Post by juniorhifikit »

JR. wrote: if you knew what the targets are to meet.
JR
Therein lies the problem. I'm going (with cash in hand) in search of the actual spec'... I'll report back with my findings.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

It's been awhile since I reasearched it but there are a number of compliance labs here in Texas for EMC. I'm sure they're just about everywhere.

Seems like a good lab could help you with obtaining the standards and meeting them.